Hebrews 1:1-3 God, who at various times and in various ways spoke in time past to the fathers by the prophets, 2 has in these last days spoken to us by His Son, whom He has appointed heir of all things, through whom also He made the worlds; 3 who being the brightness of His glory and the express image of His person, and upholding all things by the word of His power, when He had by Himself purged our sins, sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high,
1. Q > Who was the book of Hebrews written to?
1. Jewish people that had recognized Jesus as the Messiah and had accepted Him as Savior and Lord.
2. Q > What was the religious background of these new Believers?
1. They had been raised and schooled under the old Law.
2. They had trusted in many man make traditions.
3. Q > What did they have to give up after trusting their live to Jesus?
1. Religious beliefs, Family, Friends, Relatives, Traditions, legalism, everything they had depended on regarding their relationship to God.
4. Q > Why did they have to give these things up?
1. Because Jesus is Better way.
5. Q > How can you personally relate with these early Jewish Believers?
1. Did you give something up?
a) Religious beliefs, Family, Friends, Relatives, Traditions, legalism etc.
6. Q > Why is Jesus Better?
1. Because Jesus is God. V:2
2. Because God appointed Jesus is heir to everything. V:2
3. Because God made the worlds through Jesus. V:2.
4. Because Jesus is the Glory of God. V:3.
5. Because Jesus is the image of God. V:3.
6. Because Jesus holds all things together. V:3.
7. Because Jesus paid the price for mans sin. V:3.
8. Because God excepted Jesus’ Sacrifice, by setting Him at His right hand in Heaven, signifying the completion of His redemption plan for Man. V:3.
9. Because Jesus is the fulfillment of the old law. V:1-3.
7. Q > How did Jesus fulfill the old Law?
1. He lived a sinless life, “2 Corinthians 5:21 For He made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him. “
2. By living a sinless life Jesus broke none of the requirements of the Law, thus fulfilling requirements of the law.
3. Because Jesus fulfilled the requirements of the law, Jesus became the only perfect sacrifice. “Hebrews 9:11-15 But Christ came as High Priest of the good things to come, with the greater and more perfect tabernacle not made with hands, that is, not of this creation. 12 Not with the blood of goats and calves, but with His own blood He entered the Most Holy Place once for all, having obtained eternal redemption. 13 For if the blood of bulls and goats and the ashes of a heifer, sprinkling the unclean, sanctifies for the purifying of the flesh, 14 how much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered Himself without spot to God, cleanse your conscience from dead works to serve the living God? 15 And for this reason He is the Mediator of the new covenant, by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions under the first covenant, that those who are called may receive the promise of the eternal inheritance.”
Conclusion: Are you serving God by seeking to keep the law and traditions of your past, or do you trust your life to Jesus only? Jesus is the Better way, everything else will bring you up Short of Gods Glory. (So Stop Already)
COPYRIGHT TRUTHCOUNTS 1999-2012 - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED